Surly Big Dummy
Surly Big Dummy
This is the bike we'd want to use to take our toddlers on a continent's long bicycle ride.
In 2008, Surly and Xtracycle teamed up to make the Big Dummy an excellent longtail bike. The longtail frame is stiffer and has a higher load capacity than a FreeRadical-equipped bike.
Visit our Seattle location to get to know this bike in person. Our friendly staff will help you learn everything you need to know to make an educated investment in your next family bike.
- 26" wheels front and rear. It's funny to even have to state this fact, but cargo and family bike wheel sizes are all over the place these days. Surly's Big Dummy is built around the classic 26" wheel size, with room for wider tires (up to 2.5" with fenders).
- Steel is real. Surly prides themselves on shying away from aluminum. There are plenty of great aluminum family and cargo bikes, but the Big Dummy presents a comfortable, trusted ride.
- Compatible with some Xtracycle accessories...Just call us. Surly originally designed their bike to be fully Xtracycle accessory compatible, but over time Surly has gotten more into making their own stuff. If you have questions about the current compatibility state of affairs, give us a ring. 206-363-4663
- Kid seat compatible! There was a time there where it wasn't quite clear if Surly was on board with kids on their bikes. Surly has now bestowed their grouchy blessing upon the Yepp Maxi for carrying smaller kids. No other seat options are sanctioned and will void your warranty.
- What's the deal with Surly's colors? 2017 Big Dummy colors are black and green. They have clever names for them, we are going to refrain from giving Surly the satisfaction of reprinting them here. First of all, Surly uses a paint technology known as powder coating. Different from traditional wet paint, powder coating is a powder that is electrostatically drawn to the frame and then baked on in a kiln. It's a very durable paint solution, and some say more environmentally friendly too.
- Can be enhanced with Car Sick Design's excellent cargo bike slings.. An alternative to Big Dummy bags (included with the bike), US made Car Sick Design slings are commissioned especially for our shop!
- Buy now, electrify later. We can recommend several systems to electrify this bicycle now or in the future as your kids grow.
The Big Dummy is almost 10 years old and honestly, it's changed surprisingly little in that time. Minor frame design tweaks, the inevitable spec changes, and of course Surly chucking Xtracycle accessories for their own - all in all the Big Dummy remains one of those classic designs that needs little updates. The most significant change came in the form of a new bike, The Big Fat Dummy, which as you might guess is a Big Dummy with oversized "fat bike" tires.
The Big Dummy spec is a 3 x 10 derailleur drivetrain (which mixes Microshift shifters, Deore front derailleur and a SRAM rear derailleur), Avid mechanical disc brakes, and plenty of sturdy spec choices when it comes to wheels, spokes, hubs, etc. Like many Surly bikes, it doesn't flaunt itself with flashy spec choices - it really emphasizes quality parts with a long life expectancy.
As far as accessories, the Surly comes with racks, collars to secure the racks to the frame, Surly designed cargo bags and an aluminum deck made of a machined 1/4" sheet of aluminum. The accessories lack some of the nuanced refinement of say, Xtracycle's quest for the perfect modular cargo bag system, but the Surly stuff has that patently useful, durable Surly flavor.
Surly's frame and fork are covered for three years. In their words: "It applies to the original owner only and covers manufacturing defects only - not horseplay, racing, crashing, or other unauthorized tomfoolery."Individual accessories and components (excluding tires, chain, and tubes) have a 1 year limited warranty.
|SIZE||16", 18",20", 22"|
|BIKE WEIGHT||45 lbs|
|RIMS||26" Alex Adventurer|
|TIRE||Kenda Kiniption 2.3"|
|HUBS||Shimano Deore M525 Disc|
|SEAT||WTB Volt Sport|
|DRIVETRAIN||Shimano/SRAM 3 x 10|
|HEADSET||FSA Pig DH Pro|
|MAX BIG KIDS||1|